This post will provide an update on how Shawnee State University is approaching their big bang go live for their HCM, ERP & PBCS (Planning Budgeting Cloud Service) on the Oracle Cloud. In this post I'll share and update and some learnings. I want to emphasize that the Oracle HCM, ERP and EPM cloud is not yet live, which means that the information in this blog might change. Each customer experience is different, and outcomes vary.
Back in November Oracle announced that
First state university in Ohio selects Oracle Cloud solutions to improve retention and streamline business practices
Redwood Shores, Calif - Nov 10, 2016
Oracle announced today that Shawnee State University is implementing the full Oracle Cloud Suite including Oracle’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) and Human Capital Management (HCM) Cloud, in addition to Student Cloud CX. The university also anticipates moving to the Student Management Cloud as part of the university’s efforts to prepare their students for future success using the latest technology. This adoption comes with a recent Ohio Governor mandate to lower the cost of education, which prompted the university to search for the best technology to modernize and optimize internal operations.
Drivestream is honored to be the implementation partner for the Oracle HCM Cloud, ERP Cloud, and PBCS (Planning Budgeting Cloud Service) from the EPM Suite. Implementation has been proceeding on schedule.
The University’s mission is to prepare students today to succeed in tomorrow's world via accessible education, using emerging technologies and instilling the ideas that will create the innovation of the future. To do this, university has to bring down the cost of education, and increase student enrollment, while managing costs in a reduced budget environment.
Working with the Shawnee team has been great! The team is very cooperative and are eager to learn all about the Cloud. They have also been active in sharing their Journey to the Cloud experience, with the community, including
- Joint presentation with the Shawnee team at Alliance17 (Las Vegas March 1) on the Single Unified Platform. See details at
- Presenting at HCM World (April Boston MA) on Shawnee's HCM plan and update.
- They've even been gracious in sharing their information on YouTube!
Watch this video and a lot more at
An important aspect of Shawnee State's movement to the Cloud is the Single Unified Cloud Platform, and how a university, or company for that matter, can modernize HR, improve cost controls and accounts management, and institute better planning and forecasting using the Oracle Cloud system.
Shawnee State University was established as a public university in 1986, making it one of Ohio's youngest universities. Located along the banks of the Ohio River in the historic city of Portsmouth in Scioto County, the 62 acre campus has 28 buildings, and 300 full and part time faculty. With 3,000 full and part-time students, the faculty-to-student ratio is 1:18.
The university has 8 bachelors and associate degree programs, and Master's degrees in mathematical sciences, occupational therapy and teacher education. The university is especially proud of the fact that for the seventh year in a row, Shawnee State's game design program is nationally ranked on Princeton Review's 2017 Top 50 undergraduate schools to study Game Design.
Shawnee Pre-Cloud Facts
- Shawnee's hand-keyed, manual based HR system is slow, and risks processing errors and duplicate work. Things like physical signatures, paper based timesheets and expenses also cause delays.
- Shawnee's Jenzabar Student Information System houses HR and Finance data. The system requires manual data entry, and complex third party vendor integration. The faculty and staff do not have access to human capital data.
- The Shawnee HR team cannot easily access or change personal data, including standard items such as address and name changes, benefit elections, salary information, etc. The HR team struggles with basic input/output of the existing system.
- Administrators find it even more frustrating to generate timely and relevant reports, and have grown to expect delays in reports, sometimes outdated by the time it reached their desks.
Enter the Oracle Cloud
- After the evaluation process, Shawnee State chose the Oracle Cloud. The extent of the Oracle Cloud Suite is described in the Press Release.
- Oracle Cloud showed itself to be robust and user friendly, with mobile capabilities adding functionality to the community.
- The Oracle Cloud could be employed as a "one stop shop" for faculty and staff.
- Finally, possibly the most powerful case for Oracle was the "single unified platform" for HCM and ERP, and the benefits of such a platform.
Current State and Future State in Summary
|Current State||Future State|
|Jenzabar HCM||Oracle Social, Services, Marketing, Recruitment Cloud|
|Jenzabar ERP||Oracle HCM Cloud|
|Adaptive Insights||Oracle ERP Cloud|
|Sci-Quest||Oracle PBCS (EPM Cloud)|
The Bear Trax Project
Deployed Summer 2016
Oracle Student Cloud
Oracle HCM Cloud
Oracle ERP Cloud
Oracle Procurement Cloud
|Oracle Planning & Budgeting Cloud Service (PBCS) EPM Cloud|
Future Outcome Expected Benefits
Shawnee State's goal in implementing a comprehensive Cloud strategy has numerous objectives and expected benefits.
- Reduce Inefficiencies by Automating Processes
- Empower Managers and Employees with Self-Service
- Enhanced Reporting and Analytics
I'll come back in a few months and share the outcome of Shawnee's implementation
Want to learn more about Shawnee State? Email me at Rishi.Mathur@drivestream.com. I'm happy to discuss Shawnee and other implementations we've done.
Rishi Mathur is Director HCM Cloud at Drivestream
Rishi has 15 years of experience in HCM solution implementations across industries, and in businesses of all sizes. He has been with Drivestream for 11 years, with the last 4 years focused only in implementing Cloud solutions. He has personally taken ten Cloud implementations LIVE, and has three going live within four weeks.
Rishi part of the implementation team at Shawnee State and leads the Oracle HCM Cloud deployment. A version of this post was presented at Alliance17, as well as at OHECC (Ohio Higher Education Computing Council) Annual Conference.
Rishi can be reached at Rishi.Mathur@drivestream.com